Sunday, July 31, 2011

U is for Umbrellas through to Z!

"Summertime and the living is easy", and my inclination to stay with this blog is colored by planning my next trip!( And I will be satrting a blog about my next trip soon.) Oh, and going to the pool and loving to be outside....
So, what to do on rainy days while travelling? I do always travel with an umbrella and a trench coat that will serve as a raincoat, just in case. (Actually I did order on-line an 18 pocket trench coat from a travel clothing site! It even has a map for the many pockets-including one for a notebook! However, in my inimitable returner's style, I returned it, as it seemed too gimmicky and not worth the money.)
If it is warm weather, it is not as problematic as it is not cold. Of course, you can still get wet, but if you plan your day, you can also plan how to stay as dry as possible! It is probably worth keeping an eye on the weather forecast so you can go to the special museums (early) and not feel like you are missing something outdoors! Other rainy day option could be dance exhibits or concerts. If you are feeling brave, you could go to a movie and see how much you understand if you are not in an English speaking country! If you are a shopper, that would be a way to spend the rainy day as well.
"V" is for the vital information you want to have left for your exchange family. I know I touched on this earlier,but it is really important to leave a guide to your house. You could also ask your host family if they have left you similar information.
"W" is for the washing machines and other appliances which will probably take some adjustment. However, my use of drying racks in the last two summers "stood me in good stead", when my own dryer was acting up several weeks ago. I just don't find drying racks too easy for sheets, although in the heat on the Sardinian deck last September, they dried very quickly!
"X" marks the spot...Even if you do not rent a car, you might find a GPS helpful in getting around, especially in the bigger cities. You will want to research this before you leave. I watched some Australian friends who had a TomTom,which they downloaded when they got here. i bought a Garmin before I left, but I opted to get the European maps before I left, and that was interesting. I downloaded them, but it probably would have been easier to buy the disc when I bought the GPS at BestBuy.
"Y"=YOU will have the best time doing vacation home exchanges!  It takes some time, and this method of housing is not for everyone, but I love it!
"Z"="z" rest of the story...Start planning , where will you go? Europe, Central America, Kubla Khan?

As always, I will be happy to answer your questions!
Thanks for following this blog.....

No comments:

Post a Comment