Sunday, January 23, 2011

Flora and Fauna


Maybe you will pick the location of your next Vacation Home Exchange, because it is near some wonderful display of either flora or fauna. There are many world famous zoos you might want to visit. Or maybe you want to see some of the many scenic gardens all over the world. The United Kingdom for one has spectacular gardens which many go to visit annually. In addition, England has their National Trust which is an expansive network of wonderful old homes and elaborate gardens. In fact, this network is well documented in the History and Landscape: The Guide to National Trust Properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland by Lydia Greeves and HRH The Prince of Wales (Feb 1, 2006), available on Amazon.
I’ve also “just happened upon” very interesting displays of both fauna and flora in my travels. I delighted in walking around the corner in Crete on hot summer afternoon to find six dogs sleeping in the shade or the many cats we spotted on Santorini. Last summer on Sardinia I found a wonderful birding trip on an eight person boat, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and I am not a “birder”! The Italian “tour leader/boat owner” totally enjoyed the birds, and his enthusiasm was contagious. Luckily he had a good DK bird book in English, so the English speakers on board knew what we were seeing! The two donkeys pictured were working in Momenvasia, Greece.    
So for me, the fun of flora and fauna has usually been unplanned, but you will find many wonders of both to delight you!  I' love to hear of any flora and or fauna that have brightened your trips!

....And if I don't get back to this blog before February 4th-which I hope to-it is because I am away in Utah enjoying the Sundance Film Festival and some skiing at Deer Valley!

Next blog topic will be FOOD!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment